The real trick behind the perfect bhaji is properly mashed vegetables. Its healthy if you dont pour in oodles of butter into it, however tempting it may be. :).. Else, its a simple mix of vegetables with goodness and nutrition.
1. 2 cups chopped cauliflower
2. 2 cups potato, chopped
3. 1 cup green peas
4. 1 capsicum, chopped
5. 2 onions, chopped
6. 2 large tomatoes, chopped
7. 2 tsp salt
8. 2 green chilies, chopped fine
9. 1 tsp red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder each
10. 1/2 tsp dry mango powder, black pepper, fennel powder, asafoetida ( Heeng )each
11. 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
12. 1 tsp cumin seeds.
13. Cilantro to garnish
14. 1 tsp oil
15. Butter to drizzle
16. Onion, chopped in rings to garnish
1. Mix all the vegetables in a pressure cooker with1 tsp salt and turmeric. Cook till 3 whistles. Open when pressure ease off. The vegetables should be really mashed up so you need to chop them in equal sizes.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan. Splutter cumin seeds, add onions and fry till brown.
3. Add ginger- garlic paste and green chilies and keep stirring for 2-3 min till its pink in colour.
4. Now, combine tomatoes and all other spices in the pan including the remaining 1 tsp salt. Cook covered for 4-5 min till the tomatoes turn mushy.
5. Add this tadka mix to the mashed vegetables and fold together. Cook this for another 4-5 min and then turn off the flame.
6. Serve hot garnished with cilantro, butter and onions with lemon.
1. I have used a mix of spices, you can simply use pav bhaji masala with red chili powder and salt.