I am personally not a very big fan of soups. Only like a few of them and that too only warm ones. After all soup means comfort and laziness :P… Not all soups are healthy though. One of my friends used to brag about her detox diet but cribs about still being fat.. Complaining about dieticians and failed to acquire any results through VLCC as well.. She said she doesn’t touch Sugar, eats only salads for Lunch and Soups in dinner with one fruit as snack . And she continued with this diet for whole 3 months. Phew !! I can never do that… I have to have my full meal after 3-4 meals at max. My hunger pangs starts hitting me like hell otherwise.
Anyways, When I got a chance to stay with her for few days, I found that she did actually follow the stated regime over weekdays.. But I ll tell you how. To turn off her hunger, she used to have tea a lot Off course she didn’t touch Sugar instead add heaps of sugar free tablets in her drinks. Her salads were full of mayonnaise, Olive Oil, Low fat cheese and sometimes pasta salad ( Arey bhai, how can somebody eat lettuce, cucumber and tomato daily with carrots munching. Its a salad, has to be some taste in it). Fruit was a good thing. But what amused me most was her dinner.. Soup . most of the times, she had packaged Knorr or magi soups. No offence, but these soups are just ‘’kaam chalau’’ version of the actual healthy thing. Her homemade ( actually maid made) soups were full of cornflour for thickening the soup as she didn’t like it water like. Cream on top of it to live luxury. On weekends she tried to reside her life to the full , so she ate everything she wanted which involved rich food of restaurants and dhabas. I wonder by the end of week, her taste buds would have been pleading to have something and her stomach would be dying with cramps. So, she tried to balance her weekends with instead eating more than she would have in the normal case.
Anyways, she is still my friend and still complains the same about diet foods. All the best to her ( thankfully she don’t read this blog 😛 )
Coming to this Soup ( oops ! I should never be a story teller ) . This is my favourite of all soups. I saw the recipe on a TV show long back. Very suitable for a lazy winter afternoon or Supper. Simple and no mess…Super healthy and easy on stomach.
1. 1 cup Red lentils ( Malka Masoor daal )
2. 2 cups spinach, washed
3. 4-5 garlic pods
4. 2-3 medium tomatoes
5. 2-3 green chillies
6. Salt to taste
7. 1 tsp cumin seeds, black pepper each
8. ½ cup milk
9. ½ cup chopped Coriander leaves
1. Boil 3 cups of water in a deep pan. Add daal, spinach, tomatoes, chillies, salt and garlic to it.
2. Simmer covered for 10-12 min. You can also let it cook in a pressure cooker to one whistle.
3. Once daal is cooked, let the mixture cool off at room temperature
4. Once its cooled, blend the daal mix with a hand blender or food processor.
5. Strain the mixture, although there will be very less residue left which you can use while making chapathis or any other vegetable.
6. Now, heat a pan. Dry roast cumin seeds in it and when they are done add black pepper. Stir for 5 sec .
7. Add the strained Soup into it and adjust water according to your taste. Simmer for 10 min.
8. Add milk to the soup and simmer for just 2 more min. Don’t over cook it after adding milk.
9. Add coriander leaves to garnish….
Sent to :
Shilpa’s Life is green
And Srav’s Whats for Dinner ?