Since am getting more and more keen on cooking without oil, this recipe has become a weekly staple for us. I simply put together all vegetables and cook them without oil and minimum spices. You will be surprised how delicious this turns out. Mix veg often takes people to oily, rich curries with lots of spices. Specially in restaurants in India, you will find this humble dish often served with fried vegetables. But off course it tastes great, this one is a different experience on its own.
1. Mixed vegetables, chopped ( I took capsicums, French beans, potatoes, carrots, peas )
2. 1 large onion, sliced thin
3. 1 large tomato, chopped
4. 2 green chillies, chopped
5. 1 bay leaf
6. A pinch of asafoetida and cinnamon
7. 1 tsp salt, black pepper, coriander powder, cumin seeds each
8. ½ tsp of dry mango powder, turmeric each
9. Handful of coriander leaves for garnish
1. Steam cook all the vegetables for 5-6 min in microwave. If using steamer on gas, steam for 10 min till they get slightly tender but not mushy.
2. Heat a non stick pan. When it gets hot, add cumin seeds and bay leaf, dry roast them for a min. Add asafoetida and stir for 10 sec.
3. Add in onion and dry fry fro 3-4 min on medium flame. Sprinkle water in between to avoid sticking.
4. When onions turn light brown, add green chillies and tomatoes. Cook covered for 2-3 min stirring in between.
5. Add all the remaining spices except black pepper. Cook covered for 2 min.
6. Add all the vegetables and mix well. ~Cook covered for like 5-6 min stirring in between. The vegetables will get tender enough. But they should not be mushy, rather a bit crisp.
7. Garnish with black pepper and cilantro.
1. You may have to steam cook the vegetables individually as potatoes and carrots take more time to cook . Keep the chopped size smaller for these two vegetables than rest of them to have proper tender crisp taste
2. You can also use garam masala for garnish but this real taste is lovely without it too.