I read this terrific recipe from a cookery book (forgot the name of it) long time back. Since that time I was not that interested in baking, so didnt try it. But nowadays, am getting obsessed with baking stuff. And this one is literally my first casserole dish.. And I included green in this too .. Will surely try something without it next time but as for now.. This one pot meal is heavenly and healthy 🙂 🙂
I have included broccoli, carrots and corns here instead of baby corns, cauli and tofu in the original recipe. I did not have cauli at home and I dont like tofu and baby corns that much. But you can use any veg of your choice. The only trick is to prepare the green sauce right. Else it wont taste good.. Plus, I have not used any butter or cream into this. But obviously the addition will make this recipe even more tempting..
1. 1 carrot , sliced thin.
2. 1 cup mushrooms, chopped small
3. 1 cup pasta, boiled according to instructions ( I used whole wheat pasta )
4. 1/2 cup green peas, thawed if frozen
5. 1/2 cup sweet corn, thawed
6. 1 cup broccoli, chopped
7. 1/4 cup cheese
8. 1 tsp salt and sugar each
9. 1 tsp lemon juice
10. 1 large potato
11. 2 tomatoes, sliced vertically.
For the sauce :
1. 1 large onion, chopped
2. 3-4 cloves of garlic
3. 2 cups of spinach, chopped
4. Salt, black pepper, oregano – 2 tsp each
5. 2 cups milk ( I used skimmed )
6. 1/4 cup Flour ( I used whole wheat , atta )
1. Boil 3-4 cups of water in a wok. Add salt,sugar and lemon juice and then all the vegetables except tomatoes. Boil for 3-4 minutes, drain and keep aside.
2. Boil pasta according to instructions on the packet . Drain and keep aside.
3. Heat a pan, and throw all the blanched vegetables. Roast for 2-3 minutes dry. Keep aside.
4. For making sauce, heat a pan. Pour 2 tbsp milk into it, add spinach, onion and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes, covered. Add spices and mix well. Turn off the flame and let the mixture covered for a minute. Let it cool
5. Puree the above mixture in a blender. Keep aside.
6. Heat a wok and dry roast flour in it for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach puree and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes. You may have to add water in it if its dry. Let it cool for a minute.
7. Now add the remaining milk in this mixture while stirring well. Put it again on the flame and let it come to a boil. Lower the flame, and keep stirring till the sauce gets thickens enough. Check the spices while stirring and add according to your taste if required.
8. Add vegetables and pasta. Cook covered for another 4-5 minutes. turn off the flame.
9. In an oven proof baking dish, pour the mixture evenly. Add tomatoes and mix well.
10. Bake the dish in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes. Take it out and sprinkle cheese over it. Bake again for 5 minutes.
11. Have it hot with steamed rice or just as it is..
|Spinach onion mix|
|before going into oven|
1. You can use butter while preparing the sauce. Just roast the flour in butter instead of dry roasting it.
2. Add sour cream while spreading the mixture in the dish. Mix it well and bake. It will be more creamy.
3. Paneer can also be added in the forms of cube or grated. I did not have it otherwise I would have definitely added.