- Approx 500 gms Spinach
- 2 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cup chopped Mushrooms
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried basil, nutmeg, oregano, black pepper each
- Salt to taste , almost 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 10-12 Cannelloni pipes
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese + 2 tsp Parmesan Cheese
For White Sauce
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Plain flour
- 1 tsp dijon mustard paste
- 2 cups milk , i used semi-skimmed
- 1 Vegetable Stock cube
For Tomato Sauce :
- 1 kg Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Red chili powder, sugar each
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- First lets make the Tomato Sauce since it takes time to cook and get thick. So, heat Oil in a sauce pan and fry garlic cloves in it till light brown.
- Add Onion and fry till golden brown. Fold in tomatoes and salt and cook covered for 2-3 min.. Combine with rest of the spices and let it cook for next 10-12 min on slow flame stirring in between.
- Meanwhile, lets prepare the stuffing. Heat Olive oil in another pan and fry onion till soft and translucent.
- Add in Mushrooms and cook on high flame for 3-4 minutes till water evaporates. Add in the chopped Spinach and spices and cook covered for 3-4 minutes on a low flame till spinach get wilted.
- Add the ricotta Cheese, give a final stir and turn off the flame.
- Check the tomato Sauce and adjust the seasoning accordingly. You can also puree it if you want, I like it a little chunky. Now, when the stuffing gets a bit cooler to handle with bare hands, we shall start filling it in the Cannelloni pipes. Fill each pipe with enough stuffing and keep them aside.
- The next and final process is to prepare the White Sauce. Please remember we prepare this sauce at last so that it doesnt get flaky while we are doing other things.
- For White sauce, Heat Butter in a pan, and add in flour on a low flame. Keep stirring continuously till it gets crumbly, will hardly takes a minute or two.
- Take it off from the gas and add the milk stirring frequently to avoid lumps. Take it back to the low flame and add Mustard paste and stock cube. Keep stirring till mixture thickens.
- Keep stirring for 4-5 minutes till it gets thick and bubbly. Turn off the heat .
- Now, layer half of the tomato Sauce thinly in a Baking dish. Place the Cannelloni Pipes over the sauce and arrange them.Pour rest of the tomato Sauce and then the white sauce on top. Spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese on top and bake for 35-40 min at 180 degrees. Take it out and sprinkle Parmesan Cheese over it and bake again for 5 min.
Time to enjoy your hard work !!
Off to Pradnya’s Bake Fest
and my own New Year – New Dish
Roshan’s Sunday Special