Off course I do a mix of Lo fat and Full fat dairy products, cheese, desserts and Oils once in a while. That really depends on the food I am preparing. Like in a cake where recipe calls for Milk/ yoghurt, its probably not the best idea to go for low fat versions. Trust me, I am burnt on this and now swears to never use low fat dairy in bakes. Apart from that, I use skimmed milk for making almost any Indian Dessert, it does take more time to cook but works for me. I am also adamant to all baked versions of the ”not-so-unhealthy” chips or fries. They are loaded with salt and preservatives to make them equally in texture in comparison to their fried counterparts.
Anyways, enough of the ”gyan”, I am here to share an actual Low fat and healthy recipe with you. It’s the Gajar halwa with Beet, coconut and Bottle Guard in it. I have used very less sugar and ghee in the recipe and it turned out really well. Just an outcome of the leftovers, this was a weekend treat for us. Just to give it a fusion touch, I served it with a dollop of Double Cream and added a tiny bit of Vanilla essence too. A different taste and real indulgence. It was also quicker since I didn’t use any liquid form of milk rather skimmed milk powder, which worked as if I added Khoya into it and got cook faster.
- 1 cup grated Beetroot
- 2 cups Grated Carrots
- 1 cup grated Bottle guard
- 1/2 cup grated coconut ( shredded )
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup skimmed milk powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 tbsp Double Cream
- Few saffron strands
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker , combine grated carrot, beetroot and bottle guard together and sauté for a min. Cook with pressure till two whistles. No need to add water here since bottle guard will release enough water to get it cooked.
- Heat another tbsp. or ghee in a wide pan, sauté coconut for a min on low flame.
- Add cooked mixture of carrot, beet and bottle guard and stir well to combine everything. Add sugar and milk powder and cook on low flame stirring in between for almost 10 min. Turn it off, when the mixture absorbs all the liquid and get a but dry.
- Add vanilla essence and cardamom powder, give a nice stir and keep it covered for a minutes.