I made this Orange Poppy Seed Bread a while ago, but was in the drafts for long. Wanted to make it again and post with fresh Photos. But then thought of clearing things first and then re-invent the recipe with some other flavors So, here it is : Orange cake with Poppy seeds. This recipe is inspired by Radhika’s recipe, here
Lately, I hav started Poppy Seeds a lot. Poppy seeds can be a great food-enhancing ingredient for breads, cookies, rolls and cakes, but that is not all it can do. Throughout history, the powerful little food ingredient has been found to have many health benefits and medicinal benefits. If taken properly, they could serve as a healthy alternative to common ailments. Because they are storehouses of opium, the seeds are often used as an ingredient for preparing various herbal medicines. For more information, see the Benefits of Poppy Seeds here.
I have used Orange Juice in this bread. I have seen that whenever I use Orange Juice in the cakes or breads, the texture comes out beautifully. The slightest hint of tang it provides to the bread, is amazing and mixes up very well with a lot of other ingredients. Also the texture is quite better than using plain water.
I have used dried cranberry in the recipe , but you can go ahead and use the fresh variety if you happen to get it. I am sure it will taste even better with the fresh ones. This was very Crumbly and flavourful bread and am sure you will love it 🙂
What you need ?
- 2 cups APF
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Butter , unsalted
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3/ cup Fresh Orange Juice (with bits)
- 1/2 cup dried Cranberries
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest, grated
How to make ?
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter and mix with your finger tips until crumbly.
- Add the beaten egg and orange juice. Stir until just combined, do not over mix. Now fold in dried cranberries and grated orange zest, if using and mix gently.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- You can replace Orange zest with Lemon zest for a tangier flavour
- If the cake batter feels dry, you can increase the quantity of Orange Juice
Other similar quick breads from my blog: