Work is getting busier and busier these days, and this teasing sunshine is making me frustrated. Reason – Allthough the days are getting longer but since I am coming late from work, it’s so difficult for me to cook and click the same day. And I am not in favour of keeping the food till next day and then clicking pictures, so it really is annoying when I see my week getting wasted off. Having said that, seems like these days I only cook good if I have to click. Well, that’s what hubby dearest says at least ! Do you also do the same, fellow bloggers ? Keeping everyone awaited at the dining table while you are busy in arranging props and thinking of better angles for shots ? 😛
To add on to my misery, I have gained a pound since my last weight which was only a month back. AND supposedly I was on a diet. The thing is, I can never really be on diet.. every time I think of keeping myself on a strict controlled regime for next few days ( in fact hours, shhh !), it seems like everyone around me wants me to have my favorite stuff. Like the other day, I thought I would keep it low since I had two bowls full of creamy Kheer on weekend, my colleague announced she has got engaged and we all went out and partied on Pizza and Garlic breads, and obviously two cans of coke. Well, who can digest Pizza without Coke ?? Nobody in my knowledge ..
So you see, the point is – things like this keep on happening with me and I keep on extending my self-control plans. Which is really bad for my wallet, considering the fact that I spend a fortune on gym every month. Sometimes, when the times are harder, I look at myself in the mirror and challenge myself for a total figure change. Like the ones we see in those “ before-after” ads. I sincerely believe, I would be on that cover page somebody beaming with the sense of achievement and glory. But that’s future, and at present I do nothing but eat – work – sleep.. and some Zumba/ Pilates/ yoga ( all sort of fancy moves ) in between.
In between these failed attempts, I do pick up some quick fixes like these Besan Laddoos for my “I should reward myself for a controlled diet whole day” days. These are really quick to make and is such a “no hassle” sweet, which am sure is adored by everyone who have had these even once. The only thing is – they are super high in fat and hence calories. So, people like me who fret about their weight a lot but do nothing to reduce it, will again fret after having it since I promise you can’t stop at just one.
What you need ?
- 1 cup Gram flour
- 3/4 cup Ghee – clarified butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
How to make?
- Mix gram flour with ghee with the help of a spoon, and micro it on full power for a minute. Take it out and churn. Now repeat this process 7-8 times, till the raw smell of Gram flour vanishes away.
- If you still can smell the raw odour, lower the power of the Microwave and repeat the same process 4-5 time more. It took me total of 14 cycles to get the desired consistency and to get it cooked properly. It depends on Microwave to microwave and the quality of ingredients too.
- Taking out the mixture after every minute is very important to avoid it burning away. I usually do this while I am doing some other work in Kitchen and aside follow this process. It’s not absolutely mandatory that after each minute you have to run towards the microwave, mix it and then keep it back again. You can give it a rest of a minute or two in between , that’s perfectly fine. After that, that’s why we are using microwave – to keep the process simple and convenient
- Anyway, so after its done,. Add cardamom powder to it and give a last go in Microwave for another minute. Take it out and let the temperature come down a bit, will take 5-7 minutes. It should be warm, but not hot or you won’t be able to use your hands for further mixing.
- Add sugar and grease your palms, then use your hands to mix it well, roll the mixture in the shapes of Laddoos and keep them in a plate. Can be stored in a jar for upto 2 weeks.
- The only difference I find in Laddoos made in microwave and the usual stove top method is that these ones are a bit harder when eaten at room temperature. But the solution to that is, just micro them for 20-25 seconds and they are fresh and soft again.
- Another reason why these are harder is because we are using less amount of ghee, if you increase it to one cup am sure the balls will not be that dry
- You can also add a pinch of Saffron along with cardamom powder and can decorate with cashew pieces
- Sometimes I add ¼ cup of rava/sooji in this along with besan, for a course texture.
- Never use plastic bowls/ containers to cook anything inside the Microwave. Be very careful of this, else it may result in bad taste, burning of food and even health hazards. The container should always be microwave safe.