Another guest in the series is Anjana from the ever so popular Blog- Mayeeka. A wonderful blogger and a dear friend of mine, she is one of those veterans whose blog you must have visited at least once. I believe she has a recipe for everything Indian, north Indian specifically. All those dishes which I used to have at my grand ma’s place, I find them at Anjana’s Blog. Her Blog is like a supermarket, where you just pick the ingredient and will get at-least 10 brans to choose from.. 🙂
Anjana did a guest post for me before as well , these delicious Rajma Cutlets. And this time I requested her to do this some snack for me, so friends here is Anjana again from Mayeeka with a simple yet flavourful recipe. Off to her:-
In Northern Part of India kabuli chana or chick peas are mostly used for making chana masala or choley.Jeera rice pair very well with choley,so this chana pulao is an easy way to enjoy that wonderful taste and aroma.
You can also use boiled tinned chickpeas to reduce the cooking time or can also use your left over chana masala curry to make this pulao to make it more filling you may also add fried potato cubes or paneer cubes in it.
If you love rice preparations then check–vegetable biryani rice , Chili pineapple rice , Mexican chili Bean Rice and many more in my blog.
Prep time-10 min
Prep time-10 min
Cooking time-25 min
- Chick peas /Kabuli chana-3/4 cup
- Rice-1 cup
- Tomato,chopped- 3/4 cup
- Green chilies,chopped- 2
- Ginger,sliced- 1tbsp
- Mint leaves,chopped- 1tbsp
- Yogurt- 1/2 cup
- Chana masala- 1tsp
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil- 2 tbsp
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Cloves- 5
- Black cardamom-2
- Green cardamom-6
- Bay leaf-2
- Cinnamon-1/2 inch
- Star anise-1
- Wash and soak chick peas in enough water for 6-8 hours.
- Drain the water,wash and add the chick peas in the pressure cooker, add 2 cloves,1 black cardamom,2 green cardamom and 2.5 cups of water.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for about-4-5 whistles or till cooked perfectly.
- Open the cooker and keep the boiled chana and the water seperately.
- Wash and soak rice in enough water for 1/2 hour.
- Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add cumin seeds and the remaining whole spices,when cumin start crackling add chopped tomato,chilies and ginger.
- Saute till tomato become soft,then add yogurt and all the spices and cook till the gravy becom thick.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add the rice in the pan.
- Saute for few seconds and then add the boiled chick peas/Kabuli chana and mint leaves.
- Add some water in the reserved water(in which you have boiled the kabuli chana )and make it about 2 cup.
- Now add this water in the pan and give a boil.
- When water start boiling, reduce the flame and cover the pan with a lid and cook till done(can add some more water if needed)
- Switch off the flame when done and keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the pulao with a fork and serve with yogurt ,chutney or any curry.
1-You can also use tinned boiled chickpeas to make this pulao.
2-Left over chana masala can also be used to make this,but then use the spices accordingly.
3-Addition of turmeric powder is optional,you can add it if you want .