It’s a little embarrassing how many recipes I pin on Pinterest and how few of those I actually make. I’m trying to change that.
I’ve been in sort of a cooking rut this month, so I finally turned to my Pinterest boards for some inspiration last week. I was looking for some easy and cheap things to make for lunch when I saw this Avocado sandwich on Hurry The food up. It seemed so inviting and perfect for a cosy Friday brunch that I had to make it immediately.
The recipe was quick and easy enough that I had time to make sandwiches for S and me AND photograph before I hit my hungry threshold. I’d call that a win.
Most importantly, this was one delicious sandwich. I added a little fresh lemon juice because I just love the combination of Basil, lemon juice, and olive oil. The pesto spread on its own was amazing, but was brought to a whole new level with the creamy avocado, fresh watercress, and juicy cherry tomatoes.
I used toasted whole wheat poppy seeds bread for this sandwich, you may use any bread toasted or not . You could use rocket instead of watercress and cucumber instead of cherry tomatoes. If vegan is not a constraint, you could use some mozzarella cheese since that would taste awesome with this sandwich.
Serves 1 Sandwich
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 2 bread slices
- 1 small avocado
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- A few leaves of watercress (or rocket, spinach etc.)
- ¾ tbsp pesto
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Peel avocado and scoop the flesh out. Add the lemon juice and mash it lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Spread pesto on one bread slice, top with smashed avocado, cherry tomatoes and watercress.
- Crack some fresh black pepper on top. Gobble up immediately.
If you are in a mood for an elaborated lunch, try these yummy Vegan recipes: