It is also a no onion garlic dish, ideal for the upcoming Navratri time. And for those who are watching their weight and avoiding starchy food like potatoes, this is a fantastic dish to include in their meal plans.
I make Cabbage/Patta gobhi (also known as bandh gobhi) in many different ways. Apart from its immense health benefits and low calorie count, I love the fact that its quite versatile and can be used in different ways. One of my favourite being this cabbage vada and also this weirdly delicious Cabbage kheer. Yes, kheer made of cabbage. You really have to try it to believe it.
Anyway, coming back to this recipe. I make patta gobhi matar in two ways. Sometimes with onion and garlic, just like the way I make this Gajar matar ki sabji. And at times, I make it just with cumin and mustard seeds as in this recipe. Both have their own taste and flavors and I love them equally.
The main trick to always make Patta gobhi or cabbage is to shred or grate or slice it very fine. That not only helps in cooking it faster, but also derives the sweet juices of the cabbage out. And if you like cabbage like I do, you would surely love this simple dish.
Lets learn how to make this simple, easy and healthy Cabbage green peas stir fry i.e. Patta gobhi matar ki sabzi
Yields A big bowlful enugh for two
A simple stir fry (sabji/ sabzi) for every day meals.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 medium sized cabbage, shredded or sliced, about 2 ½ cups
- 1 cup green peas, thawed if frozen
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- A small piece of ginger, grated
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped small
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tbsp oil (I used Olive oil in this recipe)
- A handful of coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 3-5 curry leaves (optional)
- A pinch of black pepper (optional)
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and throw in mustard seeds and cumin seeds in it. Add in curry leaves if using and fry for 10-12 seconds.
- Add in grated ginger and green chilies. Fry for half a minute at low. Mix in all the spices and mix.
- Then add in shredded cabbage and green peas, mix in well, cover with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes. Stir in between.
- The peas and cabbage must have started wilted by now. Cook till its all shrunk and if there is some water released by cabbage, cook for a few minutes at low without any lid to dry it up if needed. Take care not to burn the cabbage and the pan.
- If it gets too dry, sprinkle some water on top and cook covered for a minute.
- Once all done, sprinkle some black pepper and cilantro, fold in well and serve with roti or rice.
Don’t keep the dish covered for too long. Once reheated, it releases water making it soggy and not so delightful to have.
Make sure to cook till the green peas are well cooked since that will add to the sweet taste of the dish.