Benefits apart, we love the taste of it. I prepare it atleast once in a week so that S eats Lauki or Turayi along with. Oh yes !!.. I cook it with bottle guard or Zucchini alternatively as he loves the taste of this dish. Its called ” Nenua -Chana ” in Eastern UP. Will post the recipe soon. What I usually do is to soak the Chana overnight. Next day I take out half of it and cook it in pressure cooker . The remaining half, I keep for sprouting. So, that ways I use both types in chaat, curries or even combining with daals.
I use to prepare this curry with simple ingredients and tadka.. But last week, my friend advised me to include chickpea flour into it. I tried, and the result was so different from what I used to make. If you have also not included besan in this recipe, do give it a shot. And then be ready for mmm mmm mmmm.. and more 🙂
1. 2 cups Kala chana, soaked overnight
2. 1 onion, chopped small
3. 2 tomatoes, chopped medium size
4. 2 tsp besan, roasted
5. 1 tsp each of turmeric, red chili powder, salt, coriander powder
6. 2 green chilies
7. Cilantro to garnish
8. 1 tsp cumin seeds
9. 1 tsp oil
10. 3 cups of water
I have taken besan which is already roasted. Although the original recipe suggests to roast it along with tadka itself. But some how my experiences while doing that are not good. So now I always roast the besan prior to the tadka and add it later. This ways it always come fine and creamy as it should be. 🙂
1. Heat oil in pressure cooker and splutter cumin seeds. Add onions and fry till brown.
2. Add tomatoes and green chilies. Mix in all the spices and let it cook for 2-3 min. Sprinkle water if gets dry.
3. Now add the roasted chickpea flour and stir it really well so that it doesnt form lumps. Add a little water as it might start sticking to the bottom.
4. Add water and bring to a boil. Pour in the Kala Chana .
5. Pressure cook till 3 whistles. Open when the pressure eases out. If they are not tender, cook again till a whistle.
6. Garnish with cilantro.. Serve hot with rice or any chapati
1. I have kept the size of tomatoes medium and not small coz I like them big in this recipe. You can chop them small as well.
2. You can also add ginger-garlic paste. I like this simple 🙂
Goes to Anyone Can cook hosted by Mymoonah :