Even now, this recipe is my rescue when I could not find any thing in the fridge or dont wish to work harder on thinking about the options. If you have not tried this way of cheela, trust me you and your kids will love this. Its an easy, healthy and quick escape from the breakfast fuss.. Off course with taste !
1. 2 cups Gram flour
2. 1 cup Soya flour
3. 1 large onion, chopped v fine
4. 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
5. 2 tomatoes, chopped small
6. 2 green chilies, chopped fine ( If making for kids, u may skip this )
7. 1 tsp Cumin seed powder, roasted
8. 2 tsp Salt
9. 1 tsp turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder each
10. 1 tsp roasted peanut powder ( Optional )
11. 1 tsp garam masala
12. Enough water ( almost 2 cups )
13. Butter to cook
1. Mix all the flour and spices in a bowl. Add chopped vegetables and fold well.
2. Gradually start adding water. The final batter should be of dosa batter consistency, not too thick a little runny.
3. Heat butter in a pan. Here, I would strongly recommend to use butter and not oil specially if you are preparing for kids. Butter brings out that taste and aroma when cooks gram flour.
4. Pour batter and cook on a low-medium flame for 2-3 min.
5. When the side gets a bit dry and bubbly, flip and cook other side. You may cover it in between to avoid burning and making the faster. This will also result in softer pancakes. But do keep an eye, it should not get burnt.
6. Take out in a plate. Have it with chutneys of your choice.
1. Ty to keep the pancake thin enough. Thicker pancake will not be able to get cooked from inside and will get burnt from outside if cooked for longer.
2. You can increase the quantity of spices to make it more hot.
3. Any other flour of your choice can be added like whole wheat flour, All purpose flour, Barley flour etc for various experiments. But do remember that the proportion should always be 2:1 for Gram flour and any other flour. Th prominent flour should be besan only
4. Onions give a very crunchy effect to this cheela. U can increase the quantity if you love them like me 🙂
Happy Cooking !!
Healthy Snacks event by DD
Mymoonah’s Any one can cook