Good To Know:
There is an amazing increase in nutrients in sprouted foods when compared to their dried embryo. In the process of sprouting, the vitamins, minerals and protein increase substantially with corresponding decrease in calories and carbohydrate content. Sprouts have several other benefits. They supply food in pre-digested form, that is, the food which has already been acted upon by the enzymes and made to digest easily. During sprouting, much of the starch is broken down into simple sugars such as glucose and sucrose by the action of the enzyme ‘amylase’. Proteins are converted into amino acids and amides. Fats and oils are converted into more simple fatty acids by the action of the enzyme lipase. During sprouting, the beans lose their objectionable gas producing quality. Sprouts contain a lot of fibre and water and, therefore, are helpful in overcoming constipation.
1. 2 cups Black chickpeas, sprouted
2. 1 onion, chopped
3. 1 large tomato, chopped
4. Small piece of ginger, chopped thin vertically
5. 2-3 green chilies, sliced thin
6. 1 tsp cumin seeds
8. Salt to taste
9. 1 lemon juice
10. 1 tsp red chili powder ( optional )
11. 1 tsp black pepper
1. Steam the sprouted chickpeas for 12-15 min. This loosens the legume and makes it easy to digest. Alternatively, you can also pressure cook it for one whistle. It should not be mashed, just little tender so that it can be broken by the body easily. Drain it and keep aside.
2. Heat a pan, dry roast cumin seeds. When they splutter, add onion. Dry roast onion till it turns brown. If it gets dry, sprinkle water frequently.
3. Add tomatoes and green chilies. Cook it covered for 2-3 min so that tomatoes get tender and a little mashed up.
4. Add spices and boiled/steamed chana. Mix well. Tun off the gas.
5. Garnish with lemon juice and coriander.
1. You can also make it as a Side dish by adding tadka to the sprouted chana. Keep everything same, just add oil before roasting. Add everything and cook it for few minutes adding some water to make it curry like. This is an excellent side dish.