When I was in Saudi Arabia, my experiences with food were not too good. Being a vegetarian, it did not prove to me as Foodies’ Paradise to be precise. There was only one snack shop near my office where I could get Falafel Sandwiches and thats it. There was nothing else I could have, not even a good enough cheese sandwich. And suddenly one day while roaming around in local markets, I found a Parantha Shop… Cant tell how heavenly it felt to even look at that Parantha Shop at that moment. Perhaps one of the most memorable moments of my life. They used to make plain Paranthas with a layer of Egg over it. Although it was not that great of a moment to queue for those tasteless paranthas among staring men all around. Still, what am willing to express here is that this Indian Breakfast is THE most amazing food in the world to have.. Period !
Paranthas in India carry a cultural value of their own. Every region has its own forms and variations.Whether its Kerala Parottas or Punjabi Aallu Paranthas, every form has its own taste and uniqueness. This time when I got home with 5 kg of Tomatoes ( again ! ) , I thought of spending them all with new things. So this Tomato Parantha took birth. I dont know if its actually some variety cooked in any region or not. But it tastes great.. Do try if you also have got handful of tomatoes like me ..The hint of Spring onions give a subtle flavor.
1. 3-4 large tomatoes, Pureed
2. 2-3 spring onions, chopped small
3. 2 cups Wheat flour
4. 1/2 tsp Red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder each
5. Salt to taste
1. Knead the dough with enough water and keep aside for 20 min.
2. Roll paranthas and roast on griddle with little oil.
1. While kneading take care as the tomato puree might get sticky initially. This will smooth out later.
2. You can also include chopped onions into it for crunchy taste.