While I am trying a lot of South Indian recipes lately, S is still reluctant of having them as many times in a week. Countless times it has happened that I have consumed the big bowl of Dosa Batter all by myself for the week. And trying those Payasams with Jaggery.. he just dislikes the taste.. Guess, it takes time to develop a new taste, specially sweet.
When I tried this Ulundhu Kali given to us by Srivalli for the mid week after dinner treat, he was least interested to try on another South Indian dish sweetened with Jaggery. But am glad he appreciated it after a scoop, and had a full bowl of it. While I was happy to see a halwa made with just a few drops of oil and no sugar, he was pleased to indulge in a full bowl. I used brown rice for this preparation, so all the more reason to smile 🙂
Valli asked us to use Gingelly oil if could get it, unfortunately I didnt find it here. So I have used simple Ghee for the preparation. Also, the addition of Brown Rice is my own., the original recipes doesn’t call for it. While I was on it, I also searched for Urad Dal benefits (mainly to send the to S, to prompt him to have South Indian :P). I found this article useful, you can view it here.
What you need ?
- 1 cup Urad Dal (split Black Gram )
- 1/2 cup Rice
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 cup grated Jaggery
- 2 1/2 cups of Water
- 1 tbsp Sugar (optional)
- A pinch of Cardamom
- 1 tbsp grated Coconut ( I used frozen )
How to make ?
- Wash the Rice and Dal separately and keep aside for dying off the after. I washed them in the morning and kept whole day for drying off.
- Dry roast both rice and dal separately and keep aside for the time to cool off. Grind them with the consistency of Course Rava. Mix them both together and pulse again for a minute for better texture.
- Boil 1 cup of water in pan and add Jaggery powder into it. When its dissolved completely, add the powdered combination along with the remaining water and start stirring vigorously for next 2-3 minutes for a smooth blend.
- Add Ghee and Sugar and keep mixing. Cook on a low flame, covered for 7-8 minutes.
- Add Cardamom and coconut, mix it one last time and turn off the flame. Serev hot garnishing with nuts of your choice.
- Since I have never tasted the Authentic recipe, I dont know if adding Gingelly oil will make it better. I just liked it as it is.
- You may have to add more water for better consistency.