- Control Diabetes: Due to the low glycemic index of Besan, it is a great food for diabetics. Use it in your rotis, parathas as a replacement for flour.
- Improve Heart Health: Besan has a high soluble fiber content and is beneficial for heart health. It is also endorsed by the Heart Care Foundation.
- Weight Loss: Due to lower glycemic index, and calorie count, besan is often used as a low calorie food for those trying to lose weight. See healthy recipes using besan.
- Reduced Allergies: Since besan does not contain gluten, it is a great substitute to wheat and gluten containing grains, for those people that are allergic to gluten.
Clean, Dry, Cool Area, Free from infestation Once you’ve obtained besan, it is best stored in the refrigerator. In an airtight container in the fridge, besan can usually be kept safely for about six months. But it always advisable to get minimal amount of either purchase or home grinded flour for maximum freshness.
This recipe Zunka is a popular Maharashtrian speciality made with besan flour cooked with vegetables like cabbage and seasoned with spices. Zunka, especially when combined with Jowar Bhakri, green chillies and onions, is considered the quintessential Marathi meal. Its an easy recipe light on stomach and perfect for those stuffy days after a heavy lunch. It can also be made as a gravy dish, and I like it both ways. As of now, just the dry version 🙂
What you need ?
- 1 1/4 cup Besan
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Coriander
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 cup finely chopped Onion
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
How you Make ?
- Heat the oil in a deep Pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and onions and saute on a medium flame till the onions turns trnslucent
- Add the ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute for another half a minute.
- Add the chili powder, turmeric, Besan and salt. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes on a low flame. Or till the Besan turns light brown in colour, stirring frequently in between
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 8-10 minutes or till the besan leaves the sides of the pan, while stirring continously
- Add the coriander and serve hot.
- You may also add greens into this Zunka like Cabbage, fenugreek etc.
- You may also add red dried chili for more spicy flavor