The other day, I had a long discussion with one of my friend regarding Yogurt being used in Cakes and breads. She is not a baker herself, but usually brings portions for us from her Mum’s kitchen. Being English, her Mom is very good in English puddings and cakes. I gnaw the delicious nibbles till last bite every time. Mmmhhhh !!! Anyways, I was having a Lemon Pound cake she brought, when she told me its a French Yogurt Cake and no butter is used in the making. Quite hard to believe, I wanted to give it a try myself. I asked her to get the recipe from her Mum along with some more bites for tasting 😉
I never knew that they teach this cake recipe in French Schools, may be due to easy instructions that include using the empty yogurt container for measuring other ingredients. And also probably because Food is such a large share of French Culture. Had I knew this while in France, I would have had it for sure. May be on my next trip 🙂
The base of this cake is eggs, sugar, yogurt, oil, and flour. Then you can flavor it the way you like it, with rum, fruit, vanilla, orange zest, coconut, etc . I have used Lemon and Poppy Seeds for this time and it came out extremely well. I gave it to my other friends, and it was really hard to believe for them that no butter has been used in the preparation. Even the amount used is not that much, keeping everyone happy 😀 ..
What you need ?
- 3 eggs
- cup sugar
- 1 cup Plain unsweetened yogurt (can be non-fat, low fat, etc …)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup All Purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Lemon Extract
- 2 tbsp Poppy Seeds
How to Make?
- In 2 mixing bowls, separate the yolks from the whites. Add sugar to yolks and beat to a white and fluffy texture so That It doubles volume. Beat the whites to a stiff consistency and set aside.
- Add the yogurt to the yolks / sugar mixture, and mix well. Add the oil, the flour, the baking powder and baking soda, Lemon extract and Poppy Seeds extract. At the end mix the egg whites carefully.
- Mixture in a greased for round pan, about 20 cm wide diameter of 5 cm and height. Place in the oven pre-heated at 370F for about 45 minutes or Until the middle is cooked. Use a knife and check the middle is cooked.
- Sprinkle some Confectioner’s Sugar on top. Serve with Tea, or glazed .. as you like !
- The only drawback I felt was that you will have to microwave it for 20-30 sec each time you have to have it after you transfer it to the fridge. It wont be as soft as other Butter cakes on its own. But then, once you reheat it, it will regain its fluffy texture and be better as ever. 🙂
- You can also glaze the cake with your preferred Sauce.