It seems like a lot of things to do in this recipe, but once you try it, its really simple and uses very few ingredients than you might think.
For Tomato Gravy:
- 1 kg ripe red tomatoes
- 7-8 green Cardamoms
- 1 sprig of Mace (Javithri)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Red Chili powder
- 7 tbsp Butter
For Vegetable Base gravy
- 4-5 garlic pods, minced
- 3 cups of assorted vegetables, chopped small
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 4- 5 green chilies, chopped into Julians
- 1 Large piece of Ginger, chopped lengthwise
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Garam Masala (optional)
- First heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and shallow fry all the vegetables on medium flame, for 8-10 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat 5 tbsp of butter in the same pan, and throw in cardamom pods in it along with the mace. Fry for a minutes and then add chopped tomatoes. Cook for around 10-12 minutes until the tomatoes get all mushy. Add salt and red chili powder. Cook for some more time and turn off the flame.
- Let it cool down a bit and then blend it in a mixer. Strain it well in a bowl, keep it aside.
- Now, for the gravy, Heat 1 tbsp of oil with 2 tbsp of Butter in the pan and add green chili julians and ginger pieces. Fry them and then add all the vegetables, cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add tomato puree now and cook further for like 7-8 minutes. Add cream and sugar and simmer further for 4-5 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Garnish with a pinch of Garam Masala and chopped coriander leaves. Serve with Naan or Rice
- You can totally skip Sugar, but this slight addition does bring out the flavour very well.
- Yes, I agree the cream is like a cherry on top of all the butter and Sugar thing, but without this, its difficult to get that creamy texture we all crave for. So go ahead and indulge yourself in this luxurious and rich Gravy.