“My Legume Love Affair” is one of my favourite events in the blogosphere and I am honoured to host it the second time. Though it doesn’t need any introduction, but for those who are new- MLLA was started 8 years ago by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook and since early 2013 the baton has been passed on to Lisa Turner of Food and Spice who has been successfully carrying on MLLA since then.
What are legumes?
Legumes are a class of grains that includes beans, peas and lentils — are among the most versatile and nutritious foods available. Legumes are generally low in fat, contain no cholesterol, and are high in Proteins, folate, potassium, iron and magnesium. They also contain beneficial fats and soluble and insoluble fibre. A good source of protein, legumes can be a healthy substitute for meat, which has more fat and cholesterol.
Some common legumes are:
- Adzuki beans
- Garbanzo beans / Chickpeas
- Black eyed peas
- All lentils
- Red kidney beans
- Soy beans
Again, why should one eat legumes?
- Excellent source of protein
- Good source fiber (approximately 15 g/cup)
- Most varieties provide half our folate requirements
- A good source of phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc, calcium, and selenium
- Contain Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), B5 and B6
- Rich in antioxidants
- Low Glycemic Index
I am a Lacto-vegetarian, and my blog is mostly about wholesome vegetarian and vegan food. Hence I have already posted a lot of recipes with Legumes here and I always yearn to add more to the list.
- Any cuisine, all courses (appetizers, main course, dessert), vegetarian, or Vegan, the choice is yours – are welcome as long as ‘legumes’ are the star, the main ingredient of the dish.
- Any derivative such as Roasted gram flour, Tofu etc. would also be considered provided it is the main ingredient of the dish.
- However, if your recipe contains these or for that matter, any other legume in small quantities, like say a spoonful, or as a garnish, or as an auxiliary or an optional ingredient, your entry will NOT qualify for the event
- You can add only ONE entry per blog.
- The last date of entry is 31st May, link your recipes with the linky below and update it with a link to This page, Lisa’s blog and Susan’s blog.
Should you have any questions, leave a comment or email me at – email@example.com