Today is the first day of Navratri. Just wanted to post a quick and easy recipe for the day one. Very quickly, for those who dont know what is Kadhi?- It is a soup made of yogurt + some flour usually chickpea flour or besan. Sometimes, fritters or dumplings are added to this base like in this Punjabi Kadhi pakora and this Moong dal dapka kadhi. Sometimes, its just made without any extras and just some herbs and a mild tempering like this Gujarati Suva Kadhi. It works wonders to sooth an itchy throat or a minor headache.
OK, so this Vrat ki Rajgira kadhi recipe or Farali kadhi is made during the Hindu fasting period or vrat like Navratri, Maha Shivratri, Ekadashi, Janmashtmi etc. Rajgira atta or Amaranth flour is used to make this Kadhi instead of the usual Besan (chickpea flour).
Amaranth flour is a wonder-grain with many health benefits like:
- It is a seed like Quinoa with essential amino acids which makes it a complete protein and easier to digest than animal proteins.
- It is gluten free and can be used to boost up the nutritional value of Gluten free dishes.
- It is a high fiber food full of vitamins and essential minerals.
- It helps building stronger immune system and also helps prevent premature greying of hair.
All in all, this is one of the best grains you can include in your diet. Especially for people who are elderly or suffering from health problems like diabetes, thyroid, high cholesterol etc. I dont have many recipes on this blog using Rajgira atta, but I am surely going to post some soon. Stay tuned!
This rajgira kadhi is a quick and easy side dish or soup which just takes about 15 minutes to prepare (click for more under 15 min recipes). You can have this with any other fasting breads like Kuttu ke aate ki poori, Bedmi poori, Methi ki poori or any sattvic Khichdi like Arhar dal ki khichdi or Moong dal khichdi. I simply sip it for dinner as it makes an excellent soup- light, healthy and filling.
Vrat ki Rajgira Kadhi- amaranth flour yogurt soup for fasting
- 1 cup full fat fresh curd/yogurt/dahi at room temperature
- 3 tbsp amaranth flour rajgira atta
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ inch ginger + 1 to 2 green chilies crushed in a mortar-pestle
- 1 cup water or more if required
- 2 tbsp ghee or peanut oil
- 1 tbsp to 2 chopped coriander leaves cilantro for garnish
- rock salt as required
Whisk the yogurt in a mixing bowl till smooth. Add the amaranth flour and whisk till there are no lumps. Add ½ cup of water and whisk again to make it even and smooth batter.
In a pan, heat the ghee or oil. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Add ginger+green chili paste and let it fry for a few seconds.
Turn the gas to low and after a few seconds, add the yogurt+amaranth flour mixture into it. Gently stir a few times and let the kadhi simmer for 5-6 minutes. Then add the rock salt, mix and simmer again for 5-7 minutes.
Turn off, garnish with cilantro and more ghee if desired. Serve hot with other fasting dishes or plain steamed rice or have it just as a soup.
Recipe NotesSome people also add sugar to this Kadhi. If you want to try the taste, add ½ tsp of sugar along with the salt. If you are not making it for fasting purposes, add normal salt.
You can serve this Kadhi with: